Re: AST's in RAC environment

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:08:44 +0000 (UTC)

I don't know the answer to your question, but according to the Oral Tradition, the first (official) implementation of RAC was on VAX using the VAX clustering code layer - which presumably did use genuine ASTs and BASTs.

I would guess that the initial port to other platforms simply 'found a way' to emulate AST and BAST using whatever mechanisms were available. And from that point onwards, OPS (then RAC) have simply referred to their emulation subroutines as if they were original names.

After 20 years, it's not surprising that Gopal (and almost anyone from Oracle) should refer to AST and BAST without any reference to the genuine origin of the terms - and given your description of what they are (were) on VAX, it's not surprising that his description for the layperson should read 'it's a bit like an interrupt'.

Since you know what AST and BAST really are, you best bet is simply to imagine that they really are (emulations of) the VAX thing when you read any explanation of what RAC is doing. Although, from the hazy understanding I have about what's going on, the underlying concepts seem to be redundant for the way that Oracle uses shared memory in Unix.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated Dec 23rd 2004