Re: identified by values compatibility ?

From: Bruno Jargot <see_at_reply-to.invalid>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:08:27 +0100

Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> Because what you read in the export dump file is a hash value.... and do
> you know whether the hash algorithm employed in 9i is the same as the
> one used in 8i? Because I certainly don't. And even if it is the same
> hash algorithm, what do you suppose it is a hash of? Username (yours are
> different)? Database name (is yours the same?)? The unique DBID (yours
> will be different)? Database Creation Time?? Oracle Version???

But the export dump file is compatible from 8i to 9i, from one platform to another one, so why could we not suppose that the hash algorithm is independant from the version, the dbid, the database creation time, .... If it was'nt, I suppose there will be some notice from Oracle on Metalink as the compatibility of the export file will not be fully assured (the password would be all be lost). Received on Thu Dec 23 2004 - 17:08:27 CST