Re: Cooked Device with RAC????

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:24:18 -0800

Pinto Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently analysis porting our oracle 9i database from Windows
> (Microsoft Cluster) to Unix (Solaris Cluster).
>
> Due to constraints in our s/w and considering manageability, we might not be
> able use RAW devices.
>
> Is it advisable to use cooked devices with Sun Solaris for Oracle 9i RAC
> database? (I/O has not been a bottleneck till now :-) )
>
> If we have to use cooked devices, can anyone suggest the list of OEM s/w
> that needs to be used?
>
> As I could gather from various web sites, sun cluster s/w does not support
> datafiles on cooked devices.
>
> Is Veritas Database edition / advanced cluster the only solution? Or is it
> recommended to go with Sun's QFS?
>

> Or, are there any other softwares available?
>

> Thanks in advanced for your feedbacks.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Pinto.

If you have Oracle 9i RAC on Solaris Veritas is the only game in town and the number of nodes is quite limited. Limited by Veritas ... not by Oracle.

I'd suggest you re-evaluate Solaris vs RedHat Linux or just going to 10g. Or look at possibly using NetApp for your storage as it comes with a cluster-aware file system.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington