Re: How to rebuild unusable index in parallel?

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:19:54 +0100

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:55:31 +0100, "Access" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Oracle 9.2.0.4 on Solaris I have a table with degree DEFAULT and an
>> UNUSABLE bitmap index defined on the table, also with degree DEFAULT.
>> Parallel ddl has been enabled for the session.
>>
>> If I do a count on the table which requires a full table scan, the
>> table is being read in parallel. If I execute
>>
>> alter index so_and_so rebuild;
>>
>> the table is being read noparallel. Why, and how can I force reading
>> in parallel?
>>
>> Jaap.
>
>Alter index ... rebuild parallel ?

I don't think this will do the job, because the SQL Reference on the 'ALTER INDEX' statement states:

"parallel_clause
Use the PARALLEL clause to change the default degree of parallelism for queries and DML on the index."

If I am interpreting this correctly this clause changes the degree-property of the index which will change behaviour of *subsequent* DML and queries on the index and not the DDL-statement 'alter index ... rebuild'. But as I mentioned before the index already has degree DEFAULT.

But if nobody comes up with another solution I will try this anyway: docs don't always speak the truth.

Jaap. Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 12:19:54 CST