Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 03:25:05 +1100

Jack Addington wrote:
[snip]

>>>I posted another solution in this thread.  What is your take on that?
>>
>>Didn't see it.

> It was in a reply to your first post...
>
> 1) Logging into application as a user but logging into Oracle as the schema
> owner.
> 2) On login I add a row to temporary global table with the user id.
> 3) Also do a quick lookup in the allowed users roles and set other flags
>
> Then I point all triggers or security functions that use the USER
> environement variable to the temp table?

Making the temp table a single point of contention, so bye-bye scalability. And ignoring the point that the contents of a proper global temporary table are private to the session that wrote them there in the first place, and that you'd better therefore be able to maintain state throughout, otherwise you will be forever inserting and re-inserting your user variables.

And also, I might add, sounding an awful lot like a do-it-yourself FGAC. Which is fine if it all magically works, scales, never breaks, has no bugs, and you can support it well. But generally, re-inventing the wheel is a mug's game (though I appreciate it's probably cheaper in the short-term than buying the original!).

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 10:25:05 CST