Re: How to move init.ora or SPFILE

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:42:42 +1100

JohannesBavendiek_at_gmx.de wrote:
> Thx 4 Your answers and your great advice. Sorry for my late reply.
>
> I have 1 question about the workaround with the one-line pfile
> containing "SPFILE=\wherever\you\moved\the\spfile.ora":
>
> What happens if we enter
>
> "create pfile from spfile"?
>
> I fear the original one-line pfile is overwritten,

It is. But the theory goes that over-writing a one-line file is not exactly a drama: it's easy enough to do what you have to do to the new init.ora, re-create the spfile from it, and then strip the contents of the init.ora back to the original one-line spfile=blah.

> if there is no special file-destination entered in this command.
> We MUST use "create pfile=<file-destination other than pfile> from
> spfile".

Precisely. You can direct the pfile to be written to wherever will not conflict.

> Explanation: We use this for backup purposes.

I'm not really sure that explains anything! You can backup the spfile directly. Why would you want to export the spfile to a pfile just to back it up... particularly when there is already an effective copy of what such a pfile would contain in the alert log -every time you start the instance. So, back up the spfile and the alert log, and the problem is solved, it seems to me.

Regards
HJR