Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password: Logon denied

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:56:40 +1100

HARI OM wrote:
> Thanks Volker and Howard....
> As mentioned, I have installed Oracle SW using user:group as
> ORAUSR:ORAGRP
And that should be the end of it. What you then choose to call your databases is irrelevant: they should all be owned by the Oracle User.

> Then, I have one AIX User LARRY and created an instance (with ORAUSR
> using DBCA) and so all the files created are having ORAUSR:ORAGRP as
> user/group.

Which is as it should be.

> When I try using SQL PROMPT... it logs in successfully.
> SQL> conn sys/**** as sysdba
> Connected.
>
> BUT when I execute using Oracle Enterprise Manager... i get Login
> Error....
> $oemapp console &
>
> I tried executing ORAPW File also but in VAIN....

PRECISION!!! I have no idea what 'executing a file' might mean. Either you ran the executable orapwd, and it failed -in which case, some error messages or feedback might be in order. Or you didn't, in which case I can't guess.

Did you even attempt what I suggested last post? And if so, what happened? (Cut and paste time).

> what should be permissions of ORAPWLARRY file and who should OWN this
> file... in my system user:group is ORAUSR:ORAGRP should it be
> larry:oragrp?

No.

The Oracle installation and all databases it results in are owned by the Oracle User. What they are called is another matter entirely. And who is allowed to connect to them and do what is a matter for Oracle's own user, privilege and role security mechanisms.

> What should be the user:group for all the files of Instance LARRY? Do I
> need to create a instance using user LARRY ot user ORAUSR?
> THANKS!
>
> HARIOM
In the nicest possible Christmas spirit, can I strongly suggest that you stop digging that hole you are getting yourself into? Describe what your business requirement is, and ask how to go about achieving it. Then you will get helpful responses. But what you're doing, it seems to me, and only judging by what you actually post, is experimenting on the fly. Which is the short road to disaster!

So what is it you're actually trying to do?

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Dec 21 2004 - 15:56:40 CST