Re: Oracle base

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:50:41 -0600

On 20 Dec 2004 12:58:17 -0800, "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote:

>>But that begs the question (and I think this is what David was getting
>>at) of why create a db-specific directory, regardless of what you name
>>it, within ORACLE_HOME in the first place?
>
>Perhaps to have a place to put db-specific scripts?
>$ORACLE_HOME/your_script_here seems a little more straightforward than
>some random local environment variable based on
>/u01/app/oracle/admin/db_name1/... (but not as straightforward as the
>way I always have done it, create a scripts dir under $ORACLE_HOME).
>
>jg

Hmm. Well, I guess we're now down to splitting hairs in a purely academic discussion (all the better to give the OP more to chew on!) and I certainly don't want to belabor a fine point. But my take is that ORACLE_HOME (and everything under it) should be reserved for those things that get created and placed there by installing Oracle -- and that without the 'starter' db. Then, ORACLE_HOME is a subset of ORACLE_BASE, which -- alongside but not under ORACLE_HOME contains the db specific stuff -- scripts, xdump destinations, pfiles, etc.

The problem I see with placing db-specific stuff within ORACLE_HOME is what happens when you install a second ORACLE_HOME to upgrade your db's. Now you've got a bunch of db-specific stuff living in a place that seemingly ties it to a specific version of Oracle. Now, I know it's not really tied to the version specific ORACLE_HOME, but the directory layout sure makes it look as if it does. Keeping those files alongside, rather than under, ORACLE_HOME makes the relationships more apparent.

I see nothing random about this:

/<mount point>/<maybe_something>/oracle <== ORACLE_BASE

then

$ORACLE_BASE/product/<8.1.7> <==ORACLE_HOME
$ORACLE_BASE/product/<9.2.1> <==ORACLE_HOME
$ORACLE_BASE/product/<10.?.?> <==ORACLE_HOME

$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>/scripts
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>/bdump
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>/pfile

etc.
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>/scripts
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>/bdump
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>/pfile

etc.
$ORACLE_BASE/rda <== RDA files

etc.

Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Tue Dec 21 2004 - 07:50:41 CST