Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2004 15:00:11 -0800

>... and I realise that your point (3) is a bit of a show-stopper,
>but... point (4) must, surely, be a complete red herring since
>your original question asked how to 'create a schema' for each
>client who comes online. In other words, even if you did it in
>exactly the way you asked about, your hate-each-other-to-death
>customers are going to be sharing the database... so it seems to
>me, they'd better get used to the idea!

I doubt that is a red herring, and he did ask for a solution that covers a range of possible configurations. It is not a red herring because it is not purely a technical question, it is a marketing question that must be dealt with when providing services to competitors, especially with all the media coverage given to "hackers." I'm sure Oracle and Sun must deal with this issue with their hosted solutions, perhaps the OP should ask their salespeople as if he were going to buy.

I'd say, turn the lemon into lemonade by quoting a range of prices based on how paranoid the customers are. If they want one instance per schema, fine! Sell more boxes. Of course, I'm no marketing guru.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.sun.com/solutions/documents/white-papers/snap_sis_secure_network_dd.pdf?facet=-1