Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:05:48 +1100

Jack Addington wrote:
> Sorry I hit send by mistake...
>
> My big reasonning ofr not doing the FGAC are:
>
> 1) No personal experience with it before (weak, I cringe to add it, but I
> have some definate time issues)
>
> 2) My clients are small to mid-range companies that have different hosting
> needs (me host, they host, 3rd party host) so I really want a simple single
> solution that will work simply anywhere that has an oracle server
>
> 3) I believe you need the enterprise version of Oracle? I run on the small
> business solution (Standard One I think it was called)
>
> 4) Most clients (at least initially) are direct local competitors and I'm
> not sure I could sell the shared database concept...
>

> I posted another solution in this thread. What is your take on that?
>
> thanks for you time, even if you made my eyes water :-)
>
> jack

Not that I have much to add to the general thrust of the thread... and I realise that your point (3) is a bit of a show-stopper, but... point (4) must, surely, be a complete red herring since your original question asked how to 'create a schema' for each client who comes online. In other words, even if you did it in exactly the way you asked about, your hate-each-other-to-death customers are going to be sharing the database... so it seems to me, they'd better get used to the idea!

Fundamentally, their data is no more, nor better, isolated from each other using different schemas than it is with FGAC. In fact, it's worse security, because I only need to acquire an "ANY" privilege (eg, 'select ANY table'), and your 'separate schemas' security is blown to smithereens. With FGAC, unless I happen to be SYS, or you specifically grant me the privilege to be exempt from FGAC limitations, the security policy is unavoidable, regardless of the tool used to connect to the database.

Which brings me to the final thing I wanted to say: one's Oracle license should be governed by the functionality you need, not one's functionality limited by the license one has. In your case, from what I've read in this thread, FGAC is the only realistic way to go. And if that means you have to upgrade to the Enterprise Edition, so be it. So I'd recommend re-thinking your point 3.

By the way, if you want a quick dabble in FGAC, try

http://www.dizwell.com/html/virtual_private_database.html

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 15:05:48 CST