ORA-2019 Connection description for remote database not found - Redux

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:45:10 -0600

Platform: Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k

We had some discussion about this last week, and I left it thinking I had found the culprit, but was mistaken. So I am back to square one.

Warehouse delivery scheduling app, runs on a dedicated server along with it's Oracle db. We have multiple warehouses, each with its own box housing a local copy of the db and the app code. There is no replication going on, nor any need to coordinate data between locations. Data is shared and centralized (for use by the logistics dept.) on a DB2 database hosted on a mainframe z/OS system. Communication between each warehouse and the DB2 system is via the Oracle Transparent Gateway, with the app inserting into and selecting from an 'event table' on the DB2 system. Local 'event handler' processes at each end message these event records into useful data on other tables.

Two new warehouses/severs went on-line last week, giving us a total of five. One of these two new locations is regularly throwing the following in the alert log:

10-Dec-2004 15:52:00 : Errors in file
e:\oradmin\xslp\bdump\xslpRECO.TRC:
10-Dec-2004 15:52:00 : ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found

The application is not complaining, and is not making any corresponding entries in it's own run-time log. The entries in RECO.TRC provide no additional useful information.

There is only one db_link defined in the db:

SQL> select owner, db_link
  2 from dba_db_links
  3 order by owner, db_link;

OWNER                          DB_LINK

------------------------------ --------------------
PUBLIC LN_DB2P.WORLD

and it is the only link name referenced by any synonyms:

SQL> select synonym_name, db_link
  2 from dba_synonyms where db_link is not null   3 order by synonym_name;

SYNONYM_NAME                   DB_LINK

SY_FACILITY LN_DB2P.WORLD SY_MESSAGE_TRACKING LN_DB2P.WORLD SY_SHPMT_APPC LN_DB2P.WORLD SY_SHPMT_APPC_DTL LN_DB2P.WORLD SY_SHPMT_EVENT LN_DB2P.WORLD SY_SHPMT_EVENT_QUE LN_DB2P.WORLD SY_SHPMT_EVENT_QUE_DTL LN_DB2P.WORLD

Now, I would expect calls to any of those synonyms to throw this error every time or never. I cannot find (or, more precisely, cannot think of a way to find) the name of the connection description that is 'not found.' So, I'm out of clues.
Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 13:45:10 CST