Re: imp: limit on number of tables?

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:42:10 -0500

Walt wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>

>> Oracle 9.2.0.05 running on Solaris
>>
>> Is there a limit on the number of tables you can specify in an import
>> parameter file? If so I haven't found it in the 9i documentation.
>>
>> I have a list of 598 tables that I need to reload from an import file
>> (all the tables for one Peoplesoft tablespace). I can't use wild cards
>> as they would probably match other tables in the export file. I
>> constructed a parameter file by spooling the table names and editing
>> it. When I run the import it just hangs. The import session is waiting
>> indefinitely on "sqlnet message from client" so it's doing nothing.
>> The parameter file is below. The only output I ever see is
>>
>> "Connected to: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
>> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
>> JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
>>
>> Export file created by EXPORT:V09.02.00 via direct path
>> import done in US7ASCII character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
>> import server uses WE8ISO8859P15 character set (possible charset
>> conversion)
>> export client uses WE8ISO8859P15 character set (possible charset
>> conversion)"
>>
>> Here's what the import.par file looks like...
>>
>> userid=/
>> file=/oramisc/backup/NSFSDEV/full_exportNSFSDEV121904_05:30.dmp
>> fromuser=sysadm
>> touser=sysadm
>> buffer=1048576
>> commit=y
>> tables=(
>> PS_ACCT_TYPCD_LNG,
>> PS_ACTION_LST,
>> [596 table names snipped]
>> )
>

> Some random suggestions:
>
> If you set the feedback parameter i.e. Feedback=1000, imp will print a
> period every 1000 rows.  Might provide some perspective on whether it's
> hanging, or just taking a long time.
>
> I've also found setting the log parameter helps decipher what's going on
> by providing a permanent log.
>
> Try a dry run by setting show=y, rows=n
>
> Try it with one table and see if you can get it to work.  If you are
> running into some kind of limit on number of tables you can probably
> break it up into half a dozen chunks.
>
> Good luck.

Forgot to mention that I was redirecting output instead of specifying a log. That way it's not buffered and you don't have to wait for any output to get to the file.

It might just be taking a very long time to chew through the export file. There is some i/o activity but CPU being used by both the imp and server background processes are close to nil.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"