Re: Can mount, not open. Can I get data?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:33:47 +1100

dsmcd wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I have a 8.1.7 database on Win2k-Serv which can be mounted but not openned.
> There seems to be some trouble with the DR01.DBF file. Can I still get the data
> and table structures out of it? Unfortunately, backups are corrupted as well.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thx,
> D.

If it's just that one file which is preventing you from opening the database, then you could issue this command:

Alter database datafaile '\wherever\dr01.dbf' offline; Alter database open;

If it's more than just one file, then the second command there will, of course, fail.

What is in the file you've just offlined is, of course, not readable, and so any data it contains can be considered lost. Particularly when you don't have any valid backups. Oracle Support can (at huge expense, probably) extract whatever it contains. But try offlining it, see whether and what you can extract from what's left of the database, and then turn your attention to the problem file as a separate exercise.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 13:33:47 CST