Re: Oracle base

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:55:35 -0600

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:23:10 +0100, Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>> Replies embedded ...
>[...]
>
>>>I now understand from yours and others comments that the Oracle base doesn't
>>>matter to Oracle (which is what I was concerned about). It sure doesn't
>>>matter to Solaris (since that is the purpose of "/opt"-- unless you are an
>>>"old timer" in which case you would use "/usr/local").
>>>
>>>Anyway, thank you. I plan to use "/opt/oracle" as Oracle base, and I will
>>>stick with the Oracle convention of
>>>"<oracle_base>/product/10.1.0/<database_name>" for Oracle home.
>>

>> Again, I see no reason to include a /<database_name> directory at that
>> level. Set ORACLE_HOME to $ORACLE_BASE/product/<version> and be done
>> with it.
>>
>I don't see a reason, too. However this is what you get with 10g. And
>sometime I'll really have to understand how 10g OMF names it's directories:

I figured I might get burned there! I've not yet seen 10g nor OMF. (Am despareately pushing to get some remaining apps from 8.1.7 to 9.2!)

>On the last system where I tried to create a concise and easily to under-
>stand directory structure (DBCA of course) I ended up with the worst structure
>I've ever seen: Flashrecovery Area, datafiles, redologs etc. each on a different
>level of the directory structure, because Oracle appends one or two levels
>to the directory tree. Apparently just as the leisure takes it, but probably
>with some deeper sense that I missed totally.

I do manage to miss that by not using DBC to create db's. The first time I had to build a db from scratch on Unix (just a few months ago) I didn't like the results and quickly saw that there would be a lot of non-default entries to be made, so I blew that db away, then used DBCA one time to build the scripts. Those I keep in a zip file to be pulled out and manually adjusted when needed.

>>>Lastly, is there any reason (either a real danger or violation of common
>>>Oracle practice) not to mount a file system at "<oracle_base>/oradata/" to
>>>use for all the data?
>>
>> Unless this is an extremely low-load system, you probably don't want
>> to do that. You want to spread your data around to avoid contention
>> and get some multiplexing of critical files. Again referring to the
>> OFA, we get something like:
>>
>> <mount-point-1>/oradata/<databse_name>/<file_name>
>> <mount-point-2>/oradata/<databse_name>/<file_name>
>> etc.
>>

>Carefull. A file system is not necessarily synonymous to one physical disk,
>what with LVM, RAID etc. Just thought I'd mention it. ;-)

Of course! :-)

>Regards,
>
>Holger

Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 12:55:35 CST