Re: Oracle base

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:35:36 -0900

> No, a distinct oracle_home is NOT required for each database, nor even
> necessarily recommended. There has been some discussion recently on
> the pros/cons of creating a distinct logon acount and ORACLE_HOME for
> each instance, it is not the most commonly used approach, as far as I
> can tell. (FWIW, I build my servers with a single ORACLE_HOME, but I
> have a set that I inherited that have separate logon accounts and
> ORACLE_HOMEs for each database). ORACLE_HOME points to where Oracle
> itself is installed.

OK, I thought I had the Oracle terminology figured out, but, based on this reply, I now think I was mistaken.

By "instance", we mean the processes, the Oracle software, right? So, if we want to have multiple instances of Oracle, we necessarily need multiple home directories, right? One home for each instance (i.e., for each installation of Oracle software). Now, each instance can have only a single database, right? But, a particular database can be used by multiple instances, is THAT correct? Do I have it now?

I had been under the impression (erroneously, now, I believe) that there was necessarily a 1:1 relationship between instance and database. (That instance = database). That was how I attempted to explain to myself the final directory (".../db_1") in the 10g OUI and documentation. I am now understanding that to be unnecessary, and the reason for it's presence unknown. Do I have that right, now?

Thank you.

DG Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 11:35:36 CST