Re: find columns used in procedures

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:31:30 +0100

nullpointer wrote:
> Actually the application uses tons of dynamic SQL. You are right I
> missed out the part about the dynamic SQL. The pseudocode that I was
> developing did contain recompiling all the procs before checking which
> were invalid so I had that covered. Any ideas on how to take care of
> the dynamic SQL. The situation does not look too bright.

Other than querying user_tab_columns and search for each and every column (case insensitive of course) in user_source - no idea. Short of testing with full code coverage after each drop column, that is.

> I am thinking a complete overhaul is the only situation. Problem is
> that there is really tons of code. I just queried the user_source there
> are 25513 line of code :-((

You won't be too comfortable with 25513 lines of code if you don't have an approximate understanding what does what and where, so a complete overhaul  might be in order anyway. And while you're on it you might want to evaluate each and every dynamic sql if it's really necessary or if that's just lazy programming style.

> regds
> Dev

Sorry ;-)

Holger Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 04:31:30 CST