Re: Database 10g Floppy Craziness

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:03:30 +0100

Connor McDonald wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>

>>Yes, that says floppy craziness.
>>
>>I'm a student and I installed Database 10g Enterprise on Windows Server
>>2003. Install went fine, but soon thereafer I noticed the floppy drive was
>>seeking every 30 seconds or so, for no reason that I can account and there
>>is no disk in the drive. This "server" runs nothing else right now except
>>rarely file serve a couple folders to my home network.
>>
>>I thought, whaaaa? Surely this doesn't have anything to do with Oracle,
>>despite the coincidence. Eventually, however, I ran out of options and
>>unistalled oracle and, you guessed it, the floppy drive quit seeking.
>>
>>What in the world could be causing this?
>

> As a guess, ASM is looking for drives which could be candidates for
> encapsulation and thinks the floppy is one of them..

Or explorer was ended in a non-standard way is assumes everything needs rescanning.
Or... forgot what, but some MS Windows bug is responsible for the behavior mentioned - have seen it even without Oracle being installed, never found a way to end it; sys admin told it was known and easy to stop. Which doesn't help the OP a bit, but leaves Oracle in the clear ;)

The first line is a vague recollection of what mentioned sys admin used as explanation, and may be totally wrong.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel