Re: Raw vs. Cooked

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:48:04 -0900

Just a little expansion on the "single large storage unit" (see below) for a database.

I did have many physical storage units in our Informix system. While familiarizing myself with Oracle, I found the Oracle SAME paper. I tried it (a single big RAID10 physical storage allocation) with our Informix database on one of our new Sun boxes. Now I have a bunch of things contributing to the results (new box, new configuration, new RAID, and the new storage structure), but the results were fantastic. I have become a fan of SAME.

Someday, when I have spare time and am looking for pain, I might actually try to set up the traditional many dbspaces/tablespaces thing, and agonize over what to place where. But, in the meantime, SAME is great, and I'll try it on our new Oracle system, too.

DG

"David E. Grove" <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us> wrote in message news:10s6p0i7tal4q44_at_corp.supernews.com...

> I think I'll change my mind for our first development install, and use
> cooked space. I'll then study Oracle structure and plan to use raw for
> production. The reason for going with cooked now is that as I started
> reading the Oracle Installation Guide, it seemed that, unlike Informix
(have
> been Informix DBA), I couldn't just make the single equivalent in Oracle
> (i.e., a single tablespace) of a single big Informix storage unit (a
"whole
> enchilada" rootdbs dbspace). It appeared to me from the Installation
Guide

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/performance/pdf/TWP_Oracle_HP_files.pdf