Switching from Veritas backups to pure RMAN

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:36:45 +0100

Hello

I use Veritas Netbackup Datacenter V. 4.5FP_6 to backup Oracle 9i DB on Linux RH AS 2.1. Works fine but I wonder why use Veritas at all, since it only starts a script to run RMAN, which I could schedule in the crontab. Of course, in order to get rid of Veritas completely, the channel allocated should not be of type "sbt".

Since the Veritas GUI does not support restore/recover Operations of Oracle databases anyway, what does Veritas buys me at all?

If I need a GUI, why not use the Enterprise Manager? (I don't, but I guess I could - should I?)

My question now would be what consequences the switch to bare RMAN backups would have in the transition time. Would current backupsets be invalidated? How can I make a clean cut and begin with a full plain RMAN backup? OK, if I don't use Veritas anymore, will the presence of the Veritas libpko.so (name from my head) have any impact on DB functions?

This question is not academic. We plan to set up a couple of databases on other servers, license fees for the Oracle DB agent has more than doubled in the last months (from 2000 to almost 5000 US$). I don't see that this agents are worth the money. By the way, Veritas belongs now to Symantec, prices could change again.

Thanks
Rick Denoire Received on Fri Dec 17 2004 - 15:36:45 CST