Re: Database Startup problem

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 Dec 2004 06:04:05 -0800

brian_willer_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a problem with a oracle 8.1.7 server running on a windows 2000
> machine.
>
> A couple of weeks ago i had a problem with an network card on this
> server. The network card is ok now, but since then everytime i
restart
> the database server the oracle service starts up, but the database is
> not open.
>
> The oradim log says "ORA-12640:" every time i try to restart the
server
> When i try to start the database with svrmgrl i get ORA-12560..
> The only way i can start the database is by using oracle dba studio.
> When i choose to apply the datbase open a startup options box comes
up
> witch lets me specify a init file (looks like oracle dont know what
> init file to use?)
>
> I have tryed to take away the line

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
> from sqlnet.ora, but then i can notlogin to the database. Oracle
sayes
> wrong passwor on the sys user..
>
> BTW:The alert log does not contain any error messages recarding this
> problem..

I doubt it will. You have located your pfile in a non-standard location (one Oracle isn't searching by default). I would:

stop the service
use oradim to restart the service and the instance, supplying the full path to the init.ora file

Your database should then start, unless you have other issues you haven't reported. Stop the service and restart it, to verify the service and instance start automatically. You should then be back in business, so to speak.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Dec 17 2004 - 08:04:05 CST