Re: [Q] Sqlplus not work with VPN, but tnsping work

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:09:05 +1100

aaa wrote:
> I tried to access our ORACLE server through VPN. The problem I have is
> "sqlplus" not work, but tnsping work. Network engineer told me he did open port
> 1521 for me.

Not good enough, I'm afraid. That's the port you need open to talk to the Listener. But you will then need to establish a connection to a server process -which is (potentially) spawned on a completely new port and a randomly-chosen one at that. Unless you open ALL plausible ports, you won't be able to make that connection (and that's something your Network Engineer is almost certainly not going to want to do!)

> if I use ORACLE "tnsping" on PC side, it will response back. Server side have
> message "15-DEC-2004 20:36:38 * ping * 0" on listener.ora file.

Bear in mind that all tnsping does is answer the question: can I resolve the service name alias supplied, and can I use that resolved information to make contact with the listener? It doesn't attempt to go beyond the listener to see whether it can contact the *instance*.

> If I use "sqlplus" on PC, there is message pop-up:
> ORA-12535: TNS: Operation time out

But SQL*Plus *does* try to connect to the instance, and that means a server process is involved (probably... leaving dispatchers and Shared Server/MTS out of the loop for now), and hence the issue of randomly-chosen ports arises.

> there is NO message on ORACLE server side listener.ora file.

Basically, you're doomed unless you've got a firewall which is Oracle-aware. Or you use CMAN (which connects on a well-defined port, not a random one) to effectively 'drill' through the firewall. Or you ditch the firewall completely!

Regards
HJR