Re: What oracle software to download ?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:46:01 +0100

EM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to program pl/sql, but I would like to learn some more of Oracle db
> now to improve my chances of getting back in the jobmarket.
> I have a pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 120 GB HD en 1GB RAM, dual boot Win XP Pro
> (SP2) en Fedora Core 3.
> What software should I donwload from Oracle to study datamodelling, creating
> databases, using pl/sql, maybe datamining, oracle reports, java is not
> necessary for the moment.
> What are the systemrequirements for hardware, other software and operating
> system ? Where can I find good manuals ?
>
> thanx,
>
> Pugi

And how long did you plan for all that?!? :)

I'd make a choice what you want, first; be a developer (data modeling, reports, pl/sql, java) or a DBA (pl/sql, create and mine databases)

Datamodeling can be done with Oracle's Designer (now, here's a challenge! This is not a 'learn designer in 24 hours' thingy!). Oracle Reports is part of the Developer Suite (as is Designer, I believe).

Designer needs a repository, all other skills can be acquired by using a fairly down-trimmed instance; 1GB should be sufficient. With Designer, you want to be careful, and shutdown unneeded services and programs.

Regards,
Frank van Bortel