Re: Post Mortem on How do I set ORACLE_SID in Windows NT

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:41:16 +1100

oracleguru_at_lycos.com wrote:
> Hi Y'all,
>
> I want to thank everyone that responded to my post from last Friday,
> both who defended me (hpuxrac) and insulted me(most posters).

No insult. Fair comment, I would have said. .

> Except Randy Harris most early posters answered my question (at least
> they had courtesy to answer the question in detail) with insults.

Strange... I could have sworn that my reply told you precisely how to do it. Oh look: here's a quote:

"here's at least three different ways of doing it. SET in a DOS window, valid for the lifetime of the DOS window only. Use the Control Panel's environment variables setting panel. Or start editing the registry. "

So, actually, I gave you more answers than Randy (no criticism of Randy, however).

> thank Randy for being precise and helpful.

And two-thirds short.

> You can throw insults and abuses at me, but as long as I get the answer
> I am happy. I always learn something useful and new from this news
> group.
>
> I was flabbergasted by the number of posts in that thread not
> pertaining to the main and simple question. This is a waste of time on
> all our part.

Incorrect. *You* think it was a waste of time. And *you* think the answers you received were irrelevant. But they weren't. It's highly relevant to point out that you are/were in over your head.

> I did have typo in my previous post. It should have said:
>
> ORACLE_SID=xyz; export ORACLE_SID (Bourne shell)

Right. And your lack of typographical precision made a bit of difference to the ensuing conversation, as you might have noticed. Precision, you see, makes a difference.

> I was in a hurry to go home for the weekend, 200 miles drive, hence the
> mistake.

And my claivoyance pills certainly enabled me to work that out, of course.

> For those who care to know here are the points I want to make about
> that thread:
>
> Refunding money to Customer:
>
> This customer's business is about 200 miles from where I live. He had
> 10gAS, 10gDS and 10gDB installed by some computer students and nothing
> was working for last 3 months. He called me and asked me to come over
> and straighten out the mess. I quoted him my rate and he did not
> flinch. His reply was how soon can you come. If you still want to
> talk to him about my abilities and refund I will be glad to send you
> his e-mail.
>
> I started here last Tuesday, Dec 7, and in 2 days flat I uninstalled
> 10gAS, 10gDS, 10gDB and re-installed and configured 10gAS
> Infrastructure, 10gAS Middle Tier, 10gDS and 10gDB and everything is
> working fine.

So? You don't know how Windows works, and you're being paid to set things up on Windows. The advice to refund stands.

> My Oracleguru e-mail address and my Oracle experience:
>
> In today's Oracle world no one, except Tom Kyte and Jonathan Lewis,
> is truly an Oracleguru because there are so many aspects of Oracle and
> everyone specializes in one product.

That is one of the sillier statements I've read. What is it about Tom and Jonathan? Do they wear nicer ties than most people or something?!

But these are the only "true" Oracle gurus on the planet?

Really??

> Most of us are lucky to know 50%
> or less of Oracle software.

Your knowledge of Oracle was not the topic of discussion (nor the subject of your question).

> I picked up my company's name Oracleguru, DBA (Doing Business As) about
> 10 years ago and am registered in Texas. At that time if you knew
> Forms, ReporWriter, SQL*Plus, Pro*C Userexits and DBA fundamentals you
> pretty much knew everything about Oracle and you were Oracleguru.

Yawn. Look: the name is silly and impudent and claims a status that is inappropriate. Change it. Your work history as an excuse for it is irrelevant. If you set yourself up as a "guru", expect to be pilloried for it, and no amount of post factum justification is going to stop that happening.

> Any one knows what UFI stands for in Oracle ? It stands for User
> Friendly Interface and was the extension used for forms 2.3 files, DB
> release 4.1 on PC in 1985-86. That is all I wanted to say about my
> experience with Oracle.
>
> If your blood pressure goes up when you see my e-mail address, do not
> respond to my post. Some one who cares will.

If you only want to hear nice things, then don't post to a newsgroup. It works both ways.

> Some one gave me Advice on taking UNIX courses etc:
>
> At one company they had forms 3.5 on UNIX SUN machine which called
> Bourne shells which called SQL*Plus reports, Fortran programs etc.
> These reports went to the individual user's UNIX printer not windows
> printer.
>
> When they moved forms to Forms6i on windows, they wanted the same
> functionality i.e. run the forms6i on windows, run the same Bourne
> shells on UNIX and send the reports to user's UNIX printers.
>
> With the same knowledge base, UNIX, windows and Forms6i, I designed the
> system in less than 1 month and it works great. To boot the users do
> not have or need UNIX user ids.
>
> Services for orcl:
>
> There are actually 3 services for any database created via installer or
> DBCA.
No there aren't. There's one service for any database created on Windows. The other two you mention are OPTIONAL, and therefore would NOT be created for "ANY" database. They also happen to be 10g-specific.

>OracleServiceORCL, OracleDBConsoleorcl and
> OracleJonSchedulerORCL (disabled). I have not created a DB via scripts
> yet, so cannot say much about that method.
>
> Why I created orcl during install:
>
> To see how Oracle created data files, tablespaces, file management etc.
> and generally to play with the database, OEM etc. I can always drop
> the database if not required.

To "play". At a customer's site?? Whilst charging them for the privilege??? Surely you jest.

But I fear not.

HJR Received on Thu Dec 16 2004 - 03:41:16 CST