Re: Disaster Recover Scenario - a few questions

From: Dave <david.best_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2004 08:51:06 -0800

Doh, my reply was lost so i'll try again.

Thanks for the response Frank. In typical Dilbert style management already purchased services from a 3rd party company in order to aid us in creating a DRP. They didn't ask their tech team or users what was needed, required or could be done.

Don't dwell on my 95% confidence remark... We in the process of creating the plan in order to get 100% confident. What I was refering to is that I wouldn't expect to have any issues starting up Oracle on the server they provide us (ie 95% sure). As part of the contract they are obligated to provide the same or 'better' server. ie, if we have a v440 they may provide us with a v880. OS level is guaranteed to be the same (2.6, 2.8) but patch levels my differ slightly. Although, we will make sure the ones listed in Oracles pre-reqs are installed.

Like I said, were in the testing our theories phase and we have a couple of incremental tests coming up to learn from. After that we hope to be 100% confident. What I would like to rule out is having to install the Oracle software from scratch.

The reason I don't think we'll have any issues is because we currently do the same type of thing in our Oracle Applications environment. We routinely restore/clone to dev/test servers which are not at the same patch level and have different hardware. Received on Wed Dec 15 2004 - 10:51:06 CST