Re: RAID 5 vs RAID 10 benchmark

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:08:24 +0000 (UTC)

Sorry about the delay in replying. Two weeks out of the country, and lots to catch up on.

I rarely get the numbers right, but a fixed parity disk is either RAID-3 or RAID-4. When you move to RAID-5, I believe the parity is described as 'block-level rotating parity', so every disc gets a fair share.

A pattern across five disc would look something like the following (where D = data and P = parity block).

D D D D P
D D D P D
D D P D D
D P D D D
P D D D D

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th