Re: Alert to trap/anticipate ORA-01555 before its occurence

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 13 Dec 2004 23:47:38 -0800

My approach to ORA-01555 is simply not to care about them. In my database here, the UNDO_RETENTION parameter is set to 45 minutes. Sometimes even with this settings there are some ORA-01555s. However, I don't care. This is an OLTP system and if some developer or user wrote a query that can't finish in 45 minutes? That's his problem. In these cases I only copy paste from alert log the fallen SQL and send it to the head developer. Of course I could easily increase this parameter, but having so long queries in OLTP database during normal processing hours is simply bad.
So the moral of this story is: ORA-01555s are not always the bad thing and not always something that must be taken care of.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.