Re: Drawbacks for direct path

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:16:42 GMT

Goran wrote:

> "zeb" <spam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>It seems direct path for export and SQL Loader is always
>>quicker than conventional path ...
>>
>>What are the drawbacks for direct path ?
>>Why not to use always direct path ?
>>When it is better to use diret path and
>>when it is better to use conventional path ?
>>
>>Thanks for your lights ...
>>
>>Oracle 8i, 9i
>>HP-UX 11.0 AIX 5L
>>

> Direct path export (8i, not sure about other versions, not sure if it's
> platform specific or generic) behaves very wrong if a table has
> chained/migrated rows. So wrong that it produces unusable dump. Easy to
> reproduce...
>
> Regards...

It's an old version, but just as a matter of curiousity, do you remember what specific imp/exp error(s) indicated that the export file was unusable? I supported a system that did daily direct path exports and although re-importing them (into another database) was rare, we never had any problems. Never checked for presence of chained/migrated rows...

-Mark Bole Received on Mon Dec 13 2004 - 16:16:42 CST