Re: Which oracle server ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:26:09 +1100

Patrick SenderaKurt Kuddy wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:40:14 -0500, Murtix Van Basten wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>> I will deploy a database project to an Oracle server, but I could not
>>figure out which version of Oracle should I get. Here is my configuration:
>>Hardware:
>>Dell 1750 Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 3x36GB Hdd on Raid 5
>>Operating System: Redhat Linux 9
>>
>>I will deploy only 1 database for the application. Only 1 DBA will use the
>>Oracle server when necessary. When the database once deployed, Only 1
>>application will reach it to read and write data. There will not be any
>>other database in the server. The server will be used for only this purpose,
>>nothing else.
>>
>>From Oracle's website, I see there are Enterprise, Standard and Standard One
>>level of purchasing options. In this case, which should I go with ?
>>
>>Thank you for answers.
>>
>>Murtix Van Basten.
>

> You don't want to use raid 5.

He might do.

> raid 0+1 is recommended.

By whom? Oracle?? Not true, if so.

>  Suggestion:  look
> into using ASM (Automatic Storage Management) and 10g.  Simply put, ASM is
> basically a database file system.

Simply put, I am a Martian.

One statement is as true as the other.

> Oracle will manage the mirroring of the > database files for you transparently.

ASM, of course, does no such thing. It mirrors data, not files. There's a difference.

And only, in any case, if you ask it to.

> You'll want to do some reading and
> research on this, obviously.

Obviously.

By the way: how about answering the original question: does he get Enterprise, Standard or Standard One version of 10g??

HJR Received on Sun Dec 12 2004 - 15:26:09 CST