Re: create table initial max ?

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:58:33 +0100

<Kenneth Koenraadt> a écrit dans le message de news:41bc36e3.205390_at_news.inet.tele.dk...

> >> I agree with Howard, this is a crazy request, but slightly funny, so
> >> here goes:
> >>
> >> 1) Make sure the autoextend is off for all the datafiles of the TBS in
> >> question.
> >>
> >> 2) Run this :
> >> create table foo(c1 number(10)) tablespace footbs;
> >> begin
> >> while true loop
> >> execute immediate ('alter table foo allocate extent');
> >> end loop;
> >> end;
> >> /
> >>
> >> and when it hits ORA-01653, you're done.
> >>
> >> - Kenneth Koenraadt
> >
> >Not what he asked for, Kenneth. He asked to fill a tablespace by
> >specifying as big an initial extent size as possible, not for a table to
> >merely fill up all the available space in a tablespace by extending as
> >often as possible.
> >
> >Regards
> >HJR
>
> The result is the same.

No, it is not.
In one case you have one big extent, that is the OP question, on the other one you have several extents. As it is a pure theorical and non-sense question but precise one and you want to answer it, reply in a precise way and not with a workaround. Workarounds are for practical issue.

Btw, if the tablespace is fragmented, there is no answer to the OP question (one big initial extent).
Btw, your solution does not work if there are many holes with different sizes unless you work with one block size extent.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Sun Dec 12 2004 - 06:58:33 CST