Re: Sybrand Bakker - request for a list of insults

From: <jdevroberto_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2004 23:29:13 -0800

Hi,

I'll agree with Rauf.

I too have bumped into Bakker and I prefer to see him as a test of my character rather than a person. This is easy to do since I only see his writing rather than his face.

This type of approach to dealing with a jerk becomes more difficult when I work with the jerk or have him in my family. Nevertheless it's important (for me) to quickly gain an objective view of my emotions when a jerk attempts to push my buttons.

A small, petty person reacts to a jerk differently than One who is wise, confident, secure, and motivated to fix his own character flaws.

A corrolary:
Don't allow the mistakes of another person rub off on me. If you flip me off, I'll show you the peace sign (except in Australia).

Also, if I see a flaw in a person, I keep that observation to myself; I don't share it with that person and certainly not with anyone else.

And now a generalish-technical question...

I have a mildly complex query which contains 7 inline views.

I have some joins in there along with some NOT EXISTS sub queries.

This query is 90 lines long.

The optimizer likes it; the query runs in about 2 seconds.

So, I took this query and wrapped with a view.

When I SELECT * from the view, it takes 70 seconds.

SQL tuning gurus...
can you give me any tips on how to make this view run in 2 seconds?

I wish I could get the view to use the same execution plan as the naked query.

I've fiddled around with a variety of hints (both inside the view and global)
and the view is still 70 seconds slow.

Also I used
SET AUTOTRACE TRACE
inside of SQLPLUS to compare the two execution plans and they are indeed different (but similar).

Help! Received on Sun Dec 12 2004 - 01:29:13 CST