Re: What does maxquerylen in v$undostat really mean?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:12:53 +1100

HansF wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>

>> he is using 9i not 10g, why look up the wrong product version?

> Standard investigation technique?

Generally, a dangerous one. Just because it's X in 10g, doesn't mean it was X in 9i. I was even a bit dubious about claiming microsecond accuracy for the column just because a column of the same name appears in similar sorts of views in the same version at that degree of accuracy. If the documentation doesn't tell you precisely what the answer is, then all else is inference. And that's sometimes a risky business to be in.

> One public place to look for information known to be missing, or
> incorrect is in the next version of the docco.

I really don't know whether I'd go that far. Certainly, it would provide a probablistic answer -and maybe, the probability might be quite high. But it is never simply 'the answer' -which requires Oracle Corp. gets its act together and fixes its documentation when the error is pointed out.

> After all, Howard had already stated it's missing in the 9i docco ...
> and we already know that Oracle will not generally release updates (ie.
> patches) to the software on OTN, instead waiting on the next public
> release. Can't see why we'd expect anything different from the docco
> which, like software, is subject to the possibility of bugs.

It seems to me that the software issue is different from the documentation one, as evidenced by the fact that OTN itself talks about 'trial licenses' and 'evaluation purposes' and so on for the free software downloads, but makes no such qualification regarding the contents of tahiti.oracle.com.

IE, if you're suggesting that tahiti.oracle.com should come with a big disclaimer along the lines of "This documentation is not what you'd use or get if you paid us money, so don't expect it to be entirely accurate", I could run with that... but it doesn't, so I do.

Regards
HJR