Re: How do I set ORACLE_SID in windows NT environment

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:59:20 +1100

oracleguru_at_lycos.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At my customer's windows 2003 server I installed 10g, 10.1.0.2 database
> with starter database orcl.
>
> I am basically a UNIX person.

And does your customer know this?

> I have familiarized with most of the windows environment.
>
> I want to create a new database named xyz.
>
> I stopped the 2 oracle services for orcl from the windows services.

There would actually only have been one, I think you'll find. But then again, why stop it? If you didn't want it, why did you let one be created in the first place.

Don't you know how to control the installation process so that it does what you want it to do, and not do what you don't want it to do?

> On UNIX when you create a new database instance you issue
>
> set ORACLE_SID=xyx;export xyz
> set ORACLE_HOME=.....; export ORACLE_HOME

News to me. On Solaris and Linux, I've always just done

ORACLE_SID=xxx
export ORACLE_SID

> then log into sql
>
> sqlplus / as sysdba
>
> startup nomount pfile=.....

Why on Earth would you just get to the nomount state?

> etc.
>
> My question is how do I set ORACLE_SID to xyz in the windows
> environment ?

There's at least three different ways of doing it. SET in a DOS window, valid for the lifetime of the DOS window only. Use the Control Panel's environment variables setting panel. Or start editing the registry.

>The ORACLE_HOME is already properly set to point to the
> 10g DB Home.

And how did you do that? Or was it just magically done for you, and you're happy that it's value is correct?

> Would appreciate an answer.

Probably not this one: Offer your customer a refund.

Or this one: your email address is false advertising, too.

HJR Received on Fri Dec 10 2004 - 20:59:20 CST