Re: oracle 9i automatic undo management - space usgae 100%

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:50:50 +0100

<premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:1102696294.329676.141790_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I have oracle 9i database on HP UNIX 11i with automatic undo
> management. I created
> undo tablespace to be 1800M. When I look in OEM, storage, it shows undo
> tablespace as 100% used, but I do not see any errors in alert.log file
> and any other errors. Is this normal, i.e., is I cause for concern. I
> have following parameters in "init.ora"
>
> undo_management string AUTO
> undo_retention integer 604800
> undo_suppress_errors boolean FALSE
> undo_tablespace string UNDOTBS1
>
> it maybe that I have asked undo_retnetion to be too large, but my
> unerstanding is that Oracle will ingnore this parameter if there
> is not enough space anyway?
>

> Thanks,
> Prem

As you said to Oracle to keep all the modifications during a week (see undo_retention) this is quite normal to get an undo tablespace at 100% full. Most of the data are not active, this is why you don't get an error if Oracle needs some space in the tablespace as it reuses non active entries.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Fri Dec 10 2004 - 14:50:50 CST