Re: Determine all updates to DB between 2 points in time?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:30:39 +1100

Mark Bole wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Stuart Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to examine/process the Oracle log files to see what
>>> updates have occurred to any data between to points in time?
>>

>> Check out Log Miner.
>>

> [...]
>
>> HJR
>>

>>> I would
>>> like to use such a facility for testing purposes to ensure that only
>>> the updates I expected are actually taking place.
>>>

> When checking "only the updates expected", be aware that the mined logs
> contain transactions that were rolled back as well as those that were
> committed.

Good point. And it includes those that were uncommitted too.

The rolled back ones would, if anything be rather easier to spot, since you'd see a reversing bit of SQL later on in the log. To spot an uncommitted transaction versus a committed one, however, is practically impossible -despite Oracle themselves giving us, in 9i Release 2, a dangerously-misleading 'committed data only' Log Mining option.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Dec 09 2004 - 19:30:39 CST