Re: OK to revoke privileges from SYS or DBA?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:04:41 +1100

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Oh yeah, Howard - the irony sailed over my head, indeed.
> So it might have with others, too.
> It looked to me like as Daniel bashing, once more.

That's because it is advice-bashing, and Daniel happens to be the one giving the advice.

> Of course,
> you are right when you are right; and when he is wrong, you
> are free to correct him (or me, or whom ever, for that matter).
> But please keep it technical, please.

I have. Carefully so.

> And as you use this ng for your irony, it's my affair as well.
> Send private emails if you don't like the rest of the world to
> read it.

Don't hit the reply button when you don't understand it Frank. The cap fits both ways on that one.

> If you would have read the links, you would have understood
> the comment, and that was NOT you, by the way, doing the linking.

Oh, so you accuse me of something I didn't actually do? Is this another example of "I was writing to the world at large and using a reply to you to do it in"?? Silly me... I must remember to take the ESP and mindreading pills when you post!

> For all clarity: Anurag provided the link, not you. So I implied
> nothing

Oh, OK. You just posted completely erroneous information. I see. That makes it all alright, then.

> - you implied I implied something, even when admitting
> you do not understand the matter.

Frank: you wrote (in a reply to a post of mine):

'You come up with a link that still has thiks wrong advice'

The word "you" means something Frank. If you don't mean it, don't post it.

And try and understand the English language. I didn't imply anything about you or your intentions. I stated in black and white that you were suggesting I was being underhand. No implying on my part was done.

> The irony you failed to understand is that all I wanted is to
> stop throwing mud (sand box - get it?) to each other.
> I wished that would stop, here - that's all there's to it.

I just wish you'd go away and busy yourself with technical threads that demand your close attention. This one doesn't. I need no advice from you about how to post, what to post, or to whom my posts should be addressed. You, however, could do with some remedial work on most of those issues.

I don't care one whit if you think this is playground stuff, a sandbox, throwing mud or whatever... you're wrong. This is Daniel offering wrong, dangerous, unsupported advice. I'll call that as it is, and if you don't like it, you can go away and stop reading it. I'd call it dangerous, unsupported and self-contradictory advice if *you* offered it; if Don Burleson offered it; if anyone at all offered it. If you want to read that as an attack on Daniel, then be my guest. It isn't. He can just retract the erroneous advice, and then the issue goes away.

But it doesn't go away just because you lumber into a thread saying it should.

> [completely OT]
> Howard, life is short, let's enjoy it - I'll see if I can find
> a fine bottle of Australian wine (think not - they never survive
> long... :) ), and I'll toast to your health.

Please don't bother. This isn't a tea party or a social event. I don't know why you post here. But I know why I do. It's to help people with as accurate advice as I can muster, and to learn: and when I see *harmful* advice being offered, I call it like it is.

You can reply if you like, but you'll hear nothing back from me on the matter.

HJR Received on Thu Dec 09 2004 - 14:04:41 CST