Re: why need to backup undo tablespace?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:02:00 +1100

niy38_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> as subject.

I am at a loss to know what would prompt such a question!

Why back up *any* tablespace? Because it contains data that needs to be preserved and recovered. The one tablespace that's not true for is the TEMPORARY tablespace.

Undo segments are segments, just like tables and indexes are segments. It just happens that the data they contain is for Oracle's housekeeping benefit, and not for your edification and delight. But it's data nonetheless, without which Oracle cannot maintain read-consistency or transaction rollback functionality, and lots else besides.

You presumably care about your tables and indexes, so you back them up. Oracle similarly cares quite a lot abouts *its* 'tables' -ie, the undo segments. They need backing up accordingly, too.

I don't understand why you would even begin to think that they were somehow disposable or dispensible... but that's simply because I can't see inside your mind to see the thought processes that lead to the question. If you care to be a little more expansive about why you thought/think they might be capable of being not backed up, perhaps I can help clarify the matter better for you.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Dec 09 2004 - 00:02:00 CST