Re: RMAN recovery after total loss

From: Denis Do <nospam.denisdo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:53:07 GMT

On 2004-12-08, Sander Aiaots <sander.aiaots_2975_at_eesti.ee> wrote:
> I am now trying to understand oracle RMAN backups (using oracle 10g),
> Backuping seems to be easy, but recovery, for me it seems impossible
> after full crach.

The key to your success is controlfile autobackup :-) Read doco, as adviced before - and keep in mind that since you turned controlfile autobackup once, it will keep "updated" snapshot of your-db-state-as-per-last-backup(RMAN only)

When you recover to new machine, startup instance nomount (that is why you must include initSID.ora file in your redundant backup set or have it printed out on paper), connect to rman, SET DBID (that is
why it is important to keep it written somewhere, probably as part of backup set name), and issue "recover controlfile from autobackup" , followed by recover spfile (if you want it) Than just restore and recover database up to last available SCN and open resetlogs (you will need it every time when use backup of controlfile)

Also, remember :
- if your controlfile autobackup is more than 7 days old,   the easiest way to get RMAN found it, juts rename it from   c-xxxxxxxx-20031230-xxxxxx to c-xxxxxxxx-TODAYDAY-xxxxxx   (however, it is not official way, but works for me) - if some of your backup sets are not included in latest   controlfile autobackup, in 10g (finally!:-) you can just   "catalog backupset" - and RMAN will get "introduced" to it

Just final word - from first look, Oracle recovery DOES look complicated process, but if you perform DR test monthly and keep your skills sharp - you are the one :-)))

Good luck! Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 18:53:07 CST