Re: How to recover datafile from a previous hot backup after the master database had a media crash

From: Denis Do <nospam.denisdo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:54:51 GMT

On 2004-12-08, huskeyPeter_at_yahoo.com <huskeyPeter_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just build a new database succesfully at another server from my
> production database using hot backup techniques.
>
> If the production database has a media crash on one of the datafile
> before a new hot backup is taken again. And assume there is still some
> good copy of achived logs and redo logs at production server due to the
> multiplexing to different disk driver. How can I apply those new redo
> logs and achived logs to the hot backup server and make it become the
> new production server without losing any data?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

Peter,

the answer is in doco anyway - but just to save you some time...

1. Restore your backup
2. review init.ora file
3. startup nomount pfile='your_reviewed_init.ora';
4. re-create controlfile (or use backup copy of it), mount DB
5. recover database until cancel using backup controlfile
6. "feed" it all available archived logs, your logs from crashed

   production and last unarchived online redo log (you wil have    to try them all, probably)
7. alter database open resetlogs
8. shutdown immediate and take full cold backup

Again, these are VERY well-described steps, that you can find almost in any peice of Oracle doco.

Good luck! Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 16:54:51 CST