RMAN recovery after total loss

From: Sander Aiaots <sander.aiaots_2975_at_eesti.ee>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:47:29 +0200

Hello everybody,
I am now trying to understand oracle RMAN backups (using oracle 10g), but some things are still unclear to me. Backuping seems to be easy, but recovery, for me it seems impossible after full crach.

Could someone explain (or maybe there is some manual for that), how should I start recovery procedure after full crach on new machine? Lets us presume that I have all RMAN backup files, conrolfiles and so on. So I install Oracle on new machine, must this installation use same database and rman backup location as oldone had? Because till now I still do not understand where is that point where new oracle instance (to where backup is made) is configured about where these rman backup files are located.

With exp/imp it is easy, for destination instance just need to create tabelspaces, by names of ole database and do full import. But with RMAN I am still not clear, do I need particularly the same machine to restore, for example from window to linux restore is impossible?

Hope someone has some answers; I would greatly appreciate that :)

Best regards,
Sander Aiaots Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 14:47:29 CST