Re: type of striping

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:26:23 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:41b75a73$0$12876$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> Richard Foote wrote:

>> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

>>>the

>>>bitmaps

>>>Yes, but that would be the case as well with LMT without ASSM,
>>>wouldn't it? I mean, it uses a bitmap as well to allocate
>>>space in uniform extents. Too small an extent, too large a bitmap,
>>>*potential* problem. Does it get compounded with ASSM?
>>>

>> Hi Nuno,
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at all this in any detail and I don't
>> have time to research my research (I've a new Pink Floyd DVD to
>> investigate :) but to briefly answer your questions.
>>
>> The ASSM bitmaps reference *blocks* not extents and as such bitmaps can
>> be stored in one block and yet reference/span a number of smaller extents
>> or can be stored in several blocks in order to reference the blocks in
>> one larger extent. However, the ratio of bitmap blocks to referenced
>> blocks can be higher for smaller extents sizes although there are quite a
>> number of ifs and buts with it all (for example results varied between
>> uniform and autoallocate).
>>
>> With regard to LMT without ASSM and the *extent* management bitmaps of
>> LMT, note that Oracle allocates a number of blocks (64Kish) in the first
>> datafile of the tablespace regardless so providing these blocks are
>> sufficient to map all extents in the tablespace, then extent size doesn't
>> really matter. If however you have a massive tablespace with a smaller
>> extent size, then Oracle may need to allocate additional bitmap blocks in
>> the tablespace, where it's again dubious whether such an overhead is
>> significant to really matter as well.
>
> "dubious"... it's not a very scientific word, is it?! "28% of my buffer
> cache consumed by ASSM BMBs"... that's a bit more like it (I think it was
> Jonathan that posted that once... I hope he will clarify), and would
> qualify as significant in anyone's book, surely.

Hi Howard,

Oh, I don't know, I think scientists can get away with the word "dubious":

"It's worked, it's worked, my monster with the unattractive bolt through the neck is alive although it's dubious whether he'll find a long term, happy relationship" !!

As for your point, I think it a little dubious to question my wording on something (lots of extents in a non ASSM tablespace) and then refer to a totally different example (ASSM).

Dubious indeed !!

As for ASSM, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, been there discussed that, re-read
through the archives on why it may not *always* be evil.

BTW, is evil a scientific word ?

Cheers ;)

Richard Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 14:26:23 CST