Testing Veritas backups of Oracle 9i.

From: Lav Kovacic <lako_at_inet.hr>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:26:54 +0100

Hi all,

Environment: Oracle 9i DB server on Solaris 9 (production site)

                     Veritas Netbackup Server on Solaris 9

                     Oracle 9i DB server on Solaris 9 (test site on
different network)

I use Veritas Netbackup Server to initiate and store Oracle backups made by RMAN.
Backups are stored on tapes. They are also successfully tested on production site.

I must also be able to test these backups on ANOTHER Oracle 9i server (Test server).

Both oracle servers are on completely separated networks, and it is not possible
to reach Veritas Netbackup Server from the Oracle test server.

I spent several days unsuccessfully trying to copy RMAN backup files from tapes to
disk with intention to move these files to the test server and to test them with RMAN.
(The files are still small and I could use some moveable media to move them).

Does anyone know how can I copy these files from tape to disk? Is there some Veritas utility that can do that? (I tried xbp with no success).

Can I somehow use RMAN to just copy some particular backup file from tape to disk without restoring it?

Thanks in advance,

   Lav Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 06:26:54 CST