unique ID

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 8 Dec 2004 10:28:34 GMT

When inserting items into a table (chunks of LONGs) that come in from a transaction I need some unique ID that can accompany the item so that it can be identified uniquely even if the contents is the same (e.g. the user of the alien transaction system hits the submit button twice or over and over again). Also sorting the list by timestamp would be desirable. I thought of so to say conglamer the date/timestamp with a random number to ibtain a unique ID that allows for sorting by date at the same time.

Are there already provisions for that in Oracle or in databases per se?