Re: Access to v$ views

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:07:31 -0800

n_kselva_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a startup DBA.I read in a tuning book that one should grant
> privileges on v$ views to non DBA users as needed and use caution.
> and it involves performance costs.I do not know which situation could
> demand a non DBA to access the v$ view.Also what are the other
> problems/concern associated with this grant of privilege. I do not find
> deeper discussion in books.I apologize if i have not correctly used
> this forum.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> Regards,
> Selva.

Depends on whether you are talking about development, testing, or a production database. I can easily see a production application requiring access to v$mystat, v$session, and others depending on functionality.

In a development database I can't think of a single reason why everyone should not have access to v$reserved_words.

So my answer would be it depends on the audience and whether there is a need. A non-DBA developer that didn't want access to a v$ object or two probably isn't doing a good job. One I would expect everyone to want to see would be v$session_longops. And I would grant that freely were it not already visible.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington