Re: Attach a database in Oracle 10g

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:10:20 GMT

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:42:57 -0800, Greg Doherty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been sent a copy of a database and would like to be able to access
> it. I copied it to a subdirectory under the oradata directory. I'm using
> WinXP and Oracle 10g. How do I go about attaching to this database? I can
> use the Database Configuration Assistant to create a new database, but I
> can't find a way to attach to an existing one.
>
> Thanks,
> - Greg

Please define what you mean by 'database'.

Sadly the term is heavily overloaded in our industry. For example, if you have MS SQLServer background, the term database is roughly equivalent to an Oracle 'schema'.

If you have received a complete database, then you should have datafiles, control files, log files.

If you have received a transportable tablespace, you should have one of more data files and an export file containing the 'metadata' alowing an existing Oracle database instance to access the tablespace.

Otherwise I simply do not understand what you have received and can not envision an easy way to 'attach' it.

/Hans Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 22:10:20 CST