Re: Help writing SQL query

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:38:29 -0800

Barry Bulsara wrote:

> DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>I got that. And I am still of the opinion it is school work: Protests
>>to the contrary aside.
>>
>>Take a good look at the table names and data being offered up:
>>familymember1
>>familymember2
>>from family
>>
>>This is not PeopleSoft or SAP, Seibel or Baan. This is either school
>>work or a home grown application. So if Barry wishes to change the
>>structure I will help him.

> Daniel, I can't change the structure. I am not designing this, it is what I
> have to work with, and I have to get the information into a proper
> structure.
> The reason I have chosen familymember1 and 2 and the contrived data is to
> make the explanation simple and hopefully get on the road to a simple query.
> Regards
> Barry

Then stop playing games and post the actual problem. I'll take a look at it. But I do note that there are many people here that could have helped you and none of them have exactly thrown themselves into this either.

BTW: Why can't the design be fixed? You have to realize that this is going to bite you on the posterior every single time you try to use it. Fix this one problem and the next issue will be equally ugly and just around the corner.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington