Re: Help writing SQL query

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:02:55 -0800

Tony Andrews wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>If the data was normalized the query would be trivial. As you seem to
>>prefer to not fix the underlying problem you have a much more

> difficult
>
>>problem. Perhaps someone else will help you swim upstream.

> I think you are missing Barry's point somewhat. The fact is he has
> been GIVEN some data in this awful structure. Sure, he can define a
> new better structure but even then he still has to migrate the EXISTING
> data from the old structure to the new, which will require some SQL.
> That still requires a solution to the problem: how do you query the
> data that currently exists?

I got that. And I am still of the opinion it is school work: Protests to the contrary aside.

Take a good look at the table names and data being offered up: familymember1
familymember2
from family

This is not PeopleSoft or SAP, Seibel or Baan. This is either school work or a home grown application. So if Barry wishes to change the structure I will help him. If he does not then the last time I checked everyone here was a volunteer and I choose, in this case, to not volunteer my time and energy. Perhaps you can lend him a hand.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington