Re: OK to revoke privileges from SYS or DBA?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:51:28 -0800

Anurag Varma wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1102389346.899684_at_yasure...
>

>>Anurag Varma wrote:

>>>connect, resource roles are used by oracle scripts themselves. Dropping them will not be good. I'm not sure why
>>>you are still sticking to your advice of dropping them:
>>>
>>>Try this in the rdbms/admin dir:
>>>
>>>egrep -i 'grant ' *.* | egrep -i ' (connect|resource)( |,)'
>>>a0801070.sql: execute immediate 'GRANT DEBUG CONNECT SESSION TO JAVADEBUGPRIV';
>>>c0703040.sql: 'grant connect, resource, execute any procedure to outln',
>>>c0800050.sql: 'grant connect, resource, execute any procedure to outln',
>>>catqm.sql:grant resource to xdb;
>>>catsnmp.sql:grant connect to OEM_MONITOR;
>>>catsnmp.sql:grant resource to OEM_MONITOR;
>>>catsnmp.sql:grant CONNECT, SELECT ANY DICTIONARY to DBSNMP;
>>>catxdbr.sql:Rem nagarwal 11/05/01 - grant DML privileges to resource view
>>>csminst.sql:grant connect, resource, dba to csmig
>>>dbmslsby.sql:Rem jnesheiw 07/23/02 - grant connect, resource to logstdby_administrator
>>>dbmslsby.sql:GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE TO logstdby_administrator;
>>>jvmsec5.sql:GRANT DEBUG CONNECT SESSION TO JAVADEBUGPRIV;
>>>migrate.bsq:grant connect, resource, dba to migrate identified by migrate;
>>>owmctab.plb:grant connect, resource, create public synonym, drop public synonym, create role to wmsys;
>>>owmu901.plb:grant connect, resource, create public synonym, drop public synonym to wmsys;
>>>prvtbiau.plb:1 GRANT CONNECT THROUGH :
>>>sql.bsq:grant connect to outln
>>>sql.bsq:grant resource to outln
>>>utlsampl.sql:GRANT CONNECT,RESOURCE,UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY TIGER;
>>>

>>>Anurag
>>
>>Because they are security holes. Perhaps it is just me but I read
>>scripts before I run them and edit them where appropriate.
>>
>>I absolutely fail to see why anyone would grant CONNECT knowing it
>>is giving each and every end user the ability to create a database
>>link. It may not be a problem where many of you work ... but in a
>>security conscious environment ... it just makes no sense: At least
>>to me.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>

> Fine. Then tell me what privs you would really grant the outln, wmsys, oem_monitor,  logstdby_administrator and csmig users? .. if
> you
> plan on dropping connect, resource from your database
> What would you edit the above lines to?
> How would you figure out what privs to grant by looking at a wrapped pl/sql code (see owmctab.plb above)?
> mind reading I guess!
>
> Anurag

It might be the exact same privs that are in CONNECT and RESOURCE. I would have to make that decision when the time came. But I wouldn't do it with the default role names that the entire world knows.

So I would create my own roles and then substitute those names for CONNECT and RESOURCE.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington