Re: java_xa, initxa, initjvm

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2004 07:03:49 -0800

Most likely your consultant's request deals with some Web logic functionality... as pointed out by Mark in his post. I am not familiar with Web logic functionality but can give you some pointers on Jserver.

  1. To install the basic JServer in the Oracle database... i.e. Complete Java Runtime, you must run $ORACLE_HOME/javavm/install/initjvm.sql as SYS. This will give you base JServer which is required to install any additional Java related add-ons. After the installation, if you run this query as SYS will give you > 8500 object count. SQL> select count(*) from user_objects where object_type like 'JAVA%'. This first step must be done before proceeding with installation of any other Java related add-ons. You can also run the above query before running initjvm.sql to see if the JServer is already installed.

By including $ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip in the classpath will expose all client side XA classes.

2) $ORACLE_HOME/javavm/install/initxa.sql creates the server side wrapper package called JAVA_XA. This package requires server side XA classes to be installed in the database i.e. "oracle.jdbc.xa.server.*". I looked thru some posts in Metalink which only says to run initjvm.sql followed by initxa.sql. This looks wrong to me since initxa.sql ONLY creates a plsql wrapper package for server side XA classes. It does not actually install the server side XA classes which reside in
$ORACLE_HOME/javavm/lib/aurora.zip file. By just running the initxa.sql
and calling one of the package functions will most likely error out since no underlying class exists. Oracle does not do a check to see if the java class exists when deploying the wrapper package. I have not tested this but I am pretty sure that installing
$ORACLE_HOME/javavm/lib/aurora.zip via loadjava tool must be done
before running initxa.sql... else there is no point just running initxa.sql without the underlying classes.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 09:03:49 CST