Re: Creating Partitioned Indexes on a Partitioned table

From: <peter_at_peternolan.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2004 03:16:54 -0800

Hi Howard,
"Wrong. A table should be what it relationally was meant to be: a set of
related records. You don't create or not create tables to make your maintenance operations easier. You create as many tables as are needed to break records up into related, normalised, groupings."

Well, you might just have to trust me that there are some very good reasons for NOT 'normalising' tables in a very complex DW environment....;-)

In this particular case we are putting 15 'different' tables into one physical table and then creating 15 'logical' tables coming out of the one physical table. And yes, in some cases we want to query one 'logical' table on some of the columns in that 'logical' table and never index those columns on other 'logical' tables. And yes, in lots and lots of rows fields that are not used for that row are null.

We do this very commonly in complex DW environments because of a variety of savings/features vs. using separate tables. Best Regards

Peter Nolan Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 05:16:54 CST