Re: non-existent DBA job market?

From: <peter_at_peternolan.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2004 02:29:13 -0800

Hi JG/ALL,
certainly where there are recessions there is a downturn in the need/jobs for DBAs.

But compared to the downturn in the need for developers DBAs do much better during recessions. This last one has been my third recession and the patterns have been pretty much the same. Lots of IT people lose their jobs in recessions, but DBAs do better than most because the production systems still have to run.

Being in this industry we need to mindful that IT is closely tied to the general overall economic health of the country/region. It's been like that for a long time time and I expect it to continue.

That said. I agree with JG that most companies do not know a good DBA from a hole in the ground nor the need for them. We will probably have to see more jobs like DBAs outsourced, a few more disasters, then they will be insourced again to help avert the disasters. Maybe people reporting hard times for DBAs in their area are seeing outsourcing taking away those jobs from their region???

For those who like a joke....I saw a good post this week on outsourcing...The post was a 'satire' on the 'Outsourcing of the Office of President of the United States'....very amusing...;-) http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_12098.shtml

Peter Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 04:29:13 CST